Prosthodontics is primarily concerned with restoration and replacement of damaged or lost teeth. Prosthodontists are specialists who are highly trained in all the elements that make a smile look functional, beautiful, and natural. They are as known as ‘architects’ of your beautiful smile. They just don’t deal with your teeth, but also the lips, gums and facial features.
When it comes to a complete smile makeover, you need a team of dental experts headed by a Prosthodontist. It takes years of training with hours of clinical experience to be a prosthodontist. At Mai Dental Specialists, we have experienced Prosthodontists who can give you a perfect smile makeover.
What Do Prosthodontists Do?
Prosthodontists plan and perform procedures that involve replacement of natural teeth, in full or in part with substitutes as follows:
- Porcelain Veneers: Thin ceramic material used to cover the front surface of the tooth, giving an incredible change in appearance. This involves the removal of your tooth enamel to place the veneers.
- Crowns: Otherwise known as caps are replaced on the surface of your tooth, just above the gum line. Crowns are often required after a root canal treatment.
- Dental Implants: You can replace your missing tooth with Dental Implants, which comprises a titanium metal post, which gets implanted in the jaw. It becomes a solid anchor for the crown that will be placed upon. Though other specialists do the surgery, the implant crowns are often designed by the Prosthodontists. Dental implants are said to be the most effective treatment when it comes to teeth restoration.
- Fixed Bridges: This method uses the existing teeth (abutment teeth) on either side of the gap as a support for one or more artificial teeth. A series of crowns are fabricated as one unit and is attached to the abutment teeth.
- Dentures: Dentures can be full, partial or implant-supported. The aesthetics of an individual with missing teeth can be improvised using dentures. However, dentures require an adjustment period, to get adaptive with the fit.
- Reconstructive Dentistry: Be it a smile makeover or a surgery, a Prosthodontist will have an essential role in the treatment. Detailing and designing every step of dental restoration and also to make sure that the work is perfect is a part of a Prosthodontist’s role.